In the current scenario of declining voice revenue and greater competition, mobile operators see mobile content and applications as a way to both increase revenue and combat competition in order to attract new customers and win the loyalty of existing ones. In order to make their presence felt in this competitive scenario, mobile operators need to deliver content and services in a variety of forms. Mobile Portals have become a major part of MNO strategy, implemented to drive ARPU (Average Revenue Per User) and to ensure combination of a wide service offering and powerful drivers of data traffic and premium revenue.
The MNO Portal is all about managing the full life cycle of mobile services offered by a network. The MNO portal provides a friendly interface for the design and execution of mass-scale or targeted marketing campaigns. Services like ring tone downloads, news and entertainment services, chats services and much more can be pushed to the subscribers. Mobile operators can decide which services to promote to which customers and can run targeted campaigns based on subscriber segmentation, service strategy or handset deployment. By sending an interactive message with a one-click link to action, a promotion campaign puts the right message directly into the hands of the consumer.
The MNO portal provides an answer to suit both operators and subscribers in terms of services and user experience, thus increasing service usage and revenues
Benefits to the Subscribers
· Trouble-free Access – All services are accessible from one entry point, the subscriber’s SIM service menu. Users don’t need to learn hi-tech configurations or no need to remember complex codes
· Services – A large choice of service categories, maximizing convenience
· Availability of Dynamic information – Daily updates of content; introduction of new services, removal of obsolete or non-adapted ones. Information, news, new services and much more delivered dynamically
· Accessibility – Wherever, whenever, through any handset
Benefits for mobile operators
· Centralized services management
· Higher Revenue through increased service usage, and traffic
· Reach extends to 100% of subscribers
· Enhanced reputation and image as a value-added service provide
· Loyal customer base
Sim card being single point of accessing services, allows mobile operators to:
· Offer device-independent accessibility to all of their services
· Manage all services from one central location
· Focus on services improvement through user statistics and preferences
Mobile content delivery platform offers a versatile platform to the new age Application Service
Providers and Enterprises for managing, storing and distributing all their wireless media, images, sounds and streaming video to mobile subscriber base. The cost of content management (typically consisting of content creation, operations, migration and validation) increases when mobile content is managed separately. A unified delivery platform can be the best and most cost effective way to publish content seamlessly across various channels. Unified content delivery platform helps organizations increase return on investment (ROI) on their existing content investments. Irrespective of the degree of control over content available via MNO portals, MNOs must take responsibility for the content available to customers via their networks if they drive revenue from that content.
Ensuring the MNO portal is a success, requires a thorough understanding of the costs and benefits associated with the operators’ preferred portal development strategy. Equally, effective assessment of the ROI requires effective cost allocation and benefit measurement.
Willy Gerard (10M+)
Emerging Markets Telecom Strategist